Monday, May 30, 2011

The Last Adventures

Tonight is my last night in Canada. That seems impossible. It’s a cliché, but every year really does go quicker and these 9 months in Mooseland have certainly flown by.


A lot has happened since I last updated this blog, but not much of it centered around Montreal. I’ve been going out of the city a lot and experiencing more of Canada and some of the States. Firstly, we went on a road trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. As I cannot drive, my main task here was to provide snacks and I went a bit mad and ending up spending nearly $40 on crisps and things. Which got eaten pretty quickly. Mostly by me. We hired two cars and I made sure the food was in the car I was in.


The journeys were fun but long – lots of singing along to bad songs (there exists a video of me going proper mental to ‘Friday’ by Rebecca Black. Oh the shame) and laughing at things that probably weren’t that funny. We eventually got to Halifax, which I have to say I enjoyed a lot. It was pissing down with rain, but I still got a really good feeling about the city. It was clearly a little bit stuck in the past but in a good way. Just a little bit weird and wonderful. And there was a cracking old fashioned sweet shop, which was staffed by a girl with the most annoying laugh in the world and the gayest guy to ever have lived. Brilliant. And we went to the maritime museum which I loved because I am a Big Nerd.


We didn’t actually spend that much time in Halifax itself. We drove along the coast of Nova Scotia which was stunning. Sadly my camera decided to commit ritual suicide an hour into the trip so I have no pictures. We went to a teeny tiny fishing village called Peggy’s Cove which had loads of dramatic coastal rocks and a lighthouse and a Big Sign saying ‘If you go too close to the water you will be caught unexpectedly by a wave, dragged into the sea by the sea monsters and DIE’. In a nutshell. We then drove further along and found some caves but I was too chickenshit and scared about getting killed by the sea monsters to go in. Apparently they were cool. I will take people’s word for it. On the way back we went to a beautiful place called Mahone Bay and went to AN ACTUAL PUB. It was just like being at home and they served Strongbow and proper fish’n’chips and oh my lord it was wonderful. Lauren and I even got free Strongbow glasses. Haha, classy.
The trip back was less fun, but I hate to moan as I was not driving and don’t think it’s fair. I will merely say that driving through the night and getting back to Montreal at 5am was a stupid idea. But we did see Dan kill a pheasant which is possibly one of the funniest scenes I’ve ever witnessed in my life.


I will skip over the details of being back in Montreal. Not much happened, just the last nights out, the goodbyes etc etc. Emotional and fun, signalling the end of this incredible time.


Lauren and I began our travels in May. First stop, Vancouver! A truly beautiful city, on the coast surrounded by mountains. Fabulous! And our hostel was right by Louis Vuitton. I fell in love with a bag, anyone got a spare grand they want to lend me? I got a great feeling from Vancouver, it seemed like a lovely place to be, very healthy, beautiful and outdoorsy. Our hostel was right by Gastown , which is really pretty and ‘historic’ I guess (by Canadian standards!) and has some nice restaurants and bars. But we were too tired most nights to go out! Pretty pathetic, but all the walking tired us out and we were in bed by 10 a lot of the nights! Still the Vancouver Canucks were doing well, so there was a good buzz about the city. Just hope they can beat the Bruins in the finals! GO CANUCKS GO!
Capilano Suspension Bridge, above the beautiful BC rainforest


Things done: Stanley Park (beautiful), harbour cruise (bit dull), Capilano Suspension Bridge (stunning, see pic), Museum of Art (weird), Museum of Anthropology/University of British Columbia (TOTEM POLES!)



Our next stop was Seattle. I was very excited about this as we were meeting up with one of my besties, Katrina, who has been studying in Virginia on exchange this year. We also met up with one of Lauren’s friends, Jeff, and some of his mates. I really, really liked Seattle. I got such a good feel for the place and I was actually able to get served alcohol despite not being 21. Result. Seattle is pretty small but there’s a lot to do and one hell of a big atmosphere. It’s very quirky, very individual, and very friendly. Pike’s Place Market is a really nice place to hangout (if you avoid the fish stalls!) and the first Starbucks is located in this area. It’s nice to see it is as it was – just a small coffee bar, no seats, not like the places we know now. And the market is right by the water, with a view of the mountains. I didn’t realise the scenery was so gorgeous in these parts, but it was just lovely. We did the Space Needle of course and the adjacent Science Centre. Sadly we missed the Star Wars exhibition by one day. EPIC SADFACE. Oh and I got addicted to pinball at the Miner’s Landing Arcade on the waterfront. Like I said, I was surprised by how much I liked Seattle. It was really just a filler city, a stop between Vancouver and San Francisco. But I loved it and would very much like to go back.

Us on the Fremont Troll, as seen in 10 Things I Hate About You!

Things done: Space Needle (very cool, worth price), Science Center (AMAZING! We spent hours in here. And I touched a Starfish, BOOM!), Pike’s Place Market (very nice), Taco Tuesday (an American experience, 69 cent tacos AND $4 Strongbow. Immense). Not a tourist thing, but one of Jeff’s friends had a pretty sick apartment with a great view of the Seattle skyline and we went back there after tacos. Good times. I <3 SEATTLE!


San Francisco, I love you too! After a painful 7am flight (up at 4am, sickening) we arrived in beautiful San Francisco. Another quirky, wonderful city. Full of wackos of course. Haight-Ashbury still full of the same drugged up old hippies who’ve been there since the 60s. Amazing! We were in SF at the same time as our friends Leslie and Cecile so it was great to see them. We went for lunch in Fisherman’s Wharf, rode the cable cars and Leslie drove us across the Golden Gate Bridge which was incredible. The next day we also met our friend Al, also on his travels and went for dinner with him. We also made him ride the cable cars back downtown but he seemed less enthusiastic than Lauren and I about the whole thing! Still, great to see him. Oh, this day we also went to the DISNEY MUSEUM! Actually spent hours there, it was incredible and made me cry! Yes, I cried at the Disney museum. Another great, but less fluffy and cute, museum was ALCATRAZ. Very, very cool and interesting but so creepy! They have actual wardens from the prison and even some prisoners voicing the audio tours you get which makes it very sinister!

Me losing an arm wrestle at Musee Mecanique (old fashioned arcade, immense!)


Things done: Golden Gate Bridge (amazing!), Pier 39/Fisherman’s Wharf (great fun), Disney Museum (well worth the money, awkward to get to, but really great!), Alcatraz (fantastic), Cable Cars (got to be done!)


And soon, it will be au revoir Montreal and salut, Angleterre!

(Pic credits to Lauren)

No comments:

Post a Comment